What is it?
The Community Business Academy is a 12-week intensive course in basic business planning and management, designed specifically for the start-up entrepreneur with little or no business experience or someone interested in growing a micro-business.
What will I learn?
During the sessions, you will become familiar with the basic concepts, tools, and skills that any business owner needs for success. You will also work on planning for your own business by learning how to answer the most important questions. For example:
- Who are my customers?
- What should I charge?
- What are my costs?
- How much money will I make?
- How can I beat my competition?
- How much money do I need to get started?
- Where can I get the money I need?
- How do I register my business?
By graduation, you will be able to write a basic business plan answering these questions and more.
What do graduates get?
- Certificate of Graduation from the Community Business Academy.
- One-on-one coaching with an adviser to help you finish your business plan so you can get the financing you need.
- Guidance to get your business up and running.
- Assistance applying for microloans from our partner organizations.
How long is it?
The curriculum includes 12 three-hour classes. Depending on your schedule, you can attend classes on Saturday mornings or Tuesday, Wedndesday or Thursday evenings.
When is it?
The Academy takes place twice per year, with four concurrent sessions in March and September.
Where is it?
Classes are held in Jersey City, the City of Orange Township, Union City and Newarkl, New Jersey
How much does it cost?
Tuition for the Community Business Academy costs $3,000 per student. However, thanks to the generous sponsors who believe in our mission, all students receive full scholarships to attend. You pay only a materials and registration fee of $125 or $295 depending on your household income.
What do I need to do?
In order to be accepted into the Community Business Academy, you must first register to attend one of our mandatory Information sessions. At the end of this session, you will receive an application.
At the Action Planning Orientation, you will:
- Learn the basics of starting a business.
- Learn how the Community Business Academy can give you the training you need to be successful.
- Discover other valuable resources available to you.
If you are interested, fill out this form today, and we will contact you with information for upcoming Information sessions.